Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chicken Piccata

I used to work at a restaurant in San Diego that served Chicken Piccata. I never tried it. I didn't try it because I didn't know what capers were and I didn't want to ask and look like an idiot. I should've googled them back them, but didn't do that either. Fast forward to last weeks dinner planning and I stumbled upon this recipe. I figured since I am more willing to try more things (food in particular) I would give it a go. I changed a couple things in the recipe, but not much. If you were/are stuck in a food bubble, pop it and try this chicken piccata. It's good...even the mysterious capers!

 Here's everything you need:










1. Chicken breast (I used 3)
2. Flour: about a cup
3. Olive oil: 6 Tablespoons
4. Butter: 5 Tablespoons
5. Chicken stock: 1/2 cup
6. Salt and pepper: to taste
7. Parmesan cheese: 1/4 cup
8. Capers: 1/4 cup, drained
9. Parsley: 1/3 cup (fresh or dry, I used dry)
10: Lemon juice: 3 Tablespoons

I'm the type of person that needs all the ingredients out so I can see them and get to them easily. This cuts down on time.

Step 1: Pound out your chicken breasts as thin as you want. Most recipes say 1/4 inch, but I usually get sick of pounding and they are about 1/2 inch. Either is fine, cooking time is just increased by a couple minutes.


Step 2: Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken.
Step 3: Mix flour and Parmesan cheese in a bowl with some more pepper.
Step 4: Heat skillet with 6 Tablespoons of olive oil and 5 Tablespoons of butter. 
Step 5: While skillet is heating, dredge both sides of chicken in flour mixture. 

 

Step 6: Add chicken breast to skillet. Since mine were a tad thicker, they took about 10-15 minutes to cook. Flip them every couple minutes.



 They should look like this when cooked.

 Step 7: Transfer chicken to a plate to make the sauce.
Step 8: Add chicken stock (1/2 cup), lemon juice (3 TBLS), and capers (1/4 cup). Wisk together until all mixed.
You are adding it to the oil and butter you used to cook the chicken, so use the same pan. No extra pan to clean, BONUS!


 Step 9: Add a crying baby to make cooking difficult. Hopefully you can skip this step. Thanks, Nate.

Step 10: Put chicken back in pan and simmer for 5 mins. Add a couple pinches of leftover flour mixture if you want sauce a little thicker. I didn't need too.

Step 11: Plate chicken and pour sauce over chicken. 
*I served it with steamed carrots and a side salad.

This dish took me about an hour. Would've been about 45 if Nate wasn't crying. I tried to pound chicken and rock his little chair at the same time. Do not do that. I tried to stir and rock. Do not do that either. Little stinker. 
This is also a cheap meal. The only thing I needed to buy was the capers, which were about 3 bucks. 

*This meal is husband approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment