Monday, November 5, 2012

Homemade Coasters

As promised, here is how I made coasters using my homemade mod podge. I know...you have been waiting all day I'm sure to read this and get started on your own. :)

I wanted to do a set of 4 since that is usually how many coasters come in a set. I also wanted to get 4 in case I messed up.

What did I buy?
1. Ceramic tiles from Lowe's (in the bathroom section)- they were only 16 cents!!
2. Scrapbook paper- I got mine at Hobby Lobby. 2 pieces for .50 cents.
*I already have scrapbook paper, but I was just so excited to be making them that they needed new paper. I would've saved half a dollar, but oh well.

That's it...I bought 4 tiles and 2 pieces of paper = $1.14
*Lowe's gives a 10% military discount so it was actually cheaper than that!

The stuff I had on hand?
1. Homemade mod podge
2. Brush

There is seriously nothing difficult about this project except deciding which patterns you what to use on your coasters.

Directions:
1. Measure and cut scrapbook paper to the size you want. Cover the entire tile or leave a border. I did both to compare.
2. Place tile on a surface you don't care about (in case mod podge gets on it)
3.  Brush a layer of mod podge on the tile
4. Place the scrapbook paper on the tile
5. Brush another layer of mod podge
6. Let it dry for 1-2 hours
7. Brush another layer of mod podge.
8. Let dry overnight
9. Add felt circles on the bottom (optional. I haven't done this yet, but if I give them as gifts I will)

Done!

 
I think I like the ones that have a border instead of covering the whole tile. Both ways are cute though. These might be gifts to give the neighbors this Christmas. Maybe with coffee cups and some hot chocolate?
 



No comments:

Post a Comment