Saturday, January 10, 2015

Transition to a Big Boy Bed: Night 1

January 9, 2015. A date I am writing about because I will forget it in about two weeks. We got a twin bed(free thanks to a friend!) and are starting the transition from crib to big boy boy for Nate. This is a huge deal for me as a mom. I wonder if Nate thinks it is a big deal. Oh to be in the inside of that boy's head.

This is a big deal because it symbolizes change. Just another thing that reminds me Nate is growing and not going to stay a baby forever. In his defense, this wasn't his choice. It was mine. Me, the mom, the one that doesn't want him to grow up. Ironic, huh? There are reasons why I wanted to transition him to a big boy bed.

The biggest reason is Nate has a lot of change coming in his life in the next 6-7 months. There will be a new baby and we are moving. Doesn't seem like much, but they are going to impact him. Having a new sibling and sharing his attention will be tough. When we move, we will be in a hotel, then another hotel, then a new house. All with a newborn. These two things even stress me out. Maybe I am worrying too much? I just feel like his little world is going to be flipped upside down and I want to make sleeping in a bed one thing he doesn't have to worry about.

So how did the first night go? Pretty decent, actually. I thought it was going to be WAY worse. This is what we did...

Kept the same night routine except one thing.
1. Bath time
2. Read books in his new bed. This is what we changed. We normally read in our bed.
3. Brush teeth.
4. Airplane. A nighttime daddy/son thing Jason and Nate do. It is super cute.
5. Tuck Nate in.

We did all that and waited for his bedroom door to open and him to walk out. It didn't happen. He was talking to himself, but then it went silent. Jason and I watched a few shows. Nate started whimpering after about an hour for 3 minutes, then silent. I went to bed a happy mom. At 4:45 Nate started crying. I gave him a couple minutes to calm down, went in to re-tuck him in and went back to bed. He was good for about 20 minutes, then cries again. I cuddled up next to him, ran my fingers through his hair, or lack there of, and we fell asleep together until 8.

I call night 1 a SUCCESS! On to the next night....

No comments:

Post a Comment