Saturday, August 4, 2012

Butternut Squash Risotto=BUST!

I wanted to make something I've never made before. Jason and I watch Hell's Kitchen and they ALWAYS serve risotto. Why? I have no idea. Maybe because it's hard to make and easy for Chef Ramsey to yell about. I even found a recipe for butternut squash risotto in a crockpot. Can't get much easier, right? Negative, ghostrider.

First of all, cutting a butternut squash sucks. After I peeled and cut the end and top off, I started to cut. The cutting lasted for about five minutes, trying to get the stupid knife through the squash. Once I finally got through, I scraped it like it was a pumpkin. There were seeds and that slimy, stringy stuff all over the kitchen. Jason had to take over at this point. He finished cutting and cubing the rest while I cooled off in the shower. Seriously...I needed a break.

Everything was in the crockpot 15 minutes after the squash cutting and the waiting began. We went to the Farmer's Market and watched some of the Olympics while it cooked. It was ready a couple hours later and I was excited to try my new dish.

UHHH...yuck! I'm not sure if it's because I'm pregnant, I made it wrong, or the baby food texture it had. Maybe it was a combination of all three. Why do they serve this at fancy restaurants!? Jason seems to think it is because rich people do not want to chew and risotto is easy to eat. His other reason was you can have it as a meal while at a meeting and not worry about getting food stuck in your teeth. Hmmm, seems like it could be the truth to me.

No more risotto for this household. I'd rather make oatmeal for a fraction of the price and it takes better. Good thing we had leftovers from dinner last night or I would not be writing this post...i would be driving my booty to Mickey D's. I'm just glad Jason is not like Chef Ramsey or the kitchen would've been shut down.

2 comments:

  1. I have a great recipe for butternut squash soup. Low cal no, yummy yes! Hint to cutting into cubes...cut the tip off of both ends of the squash and put in microwave for a bit (depends on size). Just keep an eye on it. Leave in only until it is soft enough to cut.

    ReplyDelete