Thursday, July 26, 2012

Shopping on Cloud 9: 9 Fun, Frugal, and Fashionable Outfits for your Summer Maternity Wardrobe.


Want to look fashionable while preggo? You can do it! And…you can do it on a budget.

When I found out I was pregnant I was so excited to shop, decorate, and shout my news from the mountain tops. I made a vow to myself refusing to be a frumpy pregnant girl. Looking on Amazon, Old Navy, and other clothing stores, I quickly realized I would be spending a small fortune with the prices these stores wanted. NO THANK YOU to spending $98 dollars on a pair of skinny maternity jeans! I had serious sticker shock. Why are maternity clothes so expensive!? You only wear them for a small amount of time and need different sizes throughout the 9 months. I know, flabbergasted, right?

Being a first time mom, everything from bottles to diapers to cribs to birthing is all overwhelming…and now I had to worry about my fashion!?  Yikes. I needed to come up with a solution to keep my vow of staying fashionable throughout my pregnancy without breaking the bank. My solution was to start looking at thrift, consignment, and discount stores. Some may not like the idea of shopping at Goodwill, but let me tell you, they have some great finds…and some clothes still have tags on them! If you are one not interested in thrift shops, stores like TJ Maxx and Burlington are AWESOME!

Below are 9 outfits that are budget friendly, fashionable, and…comfortable. Some of the items are not “maternity” per se, but just in a larger size than I would normally buy. In fact, most of the pieces I already owned. Shorts and pants are, in my opinion, the only clothing items you really “need” to purchase in the maternity section. Shirts, skirts, and dresses are made to fit looser these days, which is perfect for your growing belly.

There are outfits for all occasions whether you are in a rush, running errands, off to work, or having date night. Remember to be creative, don’t be afraid to mix-and-match, and HAVE FUN! There is no need to be wearing a moo-moo…show off that cute baby bump and BE PROUD!

Here are all the outfits! (Photography by my amazing hubby)
Outfit #1
Maternity shorts ($10), basic white t-shirt ($5), jean jacket (Goodwill find for $4), and colorful necklace.
 Wear this outfit to run errands, shopping, lunch date with a friend…it’s simple and easy.
Outfit #2
Striped skirt (Goodwill find for $3.50), colored shirt ($5), white linen blazer (Goodwill find for $4), and brown belt.
Wear this outfit to lunch, the park, shopping, errands, a meeting. Very versatile!
Outfit #3
Maternity jeans ($14.99 at Burlington), white button shirt ($3 at Goodwill), brown belt, leopard flats ($9.99 at Burlington)
Another wear almost anywhere outfit! This outfit is so comfy and effortless. I just added a pearl necklace (not real, of course!) and the flats to give it some pop of pattern.
Outfit #4
Charcoal grey pencil skirt ($14.99 at TJ Maxx), black tank (bought years ago, but it’s from Forever21), light blue cardigan with sequin embellishment ($7.99 at TJ Maxx), black wedges ($19.99 at Target)
Wear this to work. The pencil skirt is stretchy so it’s still comfortable if you are sitting at a desk all day. Wedges are also great for the comfort yet professional look.
Outfit #5
Pencil skirt (from above), colored t-shirt (from above), white linen blazer (from above), leopard flats (from above)
Entire outfit from pieces I have already wore in previous pictures, yet a whole new look! I would wear this to work, lunch, dinner, girl’s night, or a walk along the Mississippi River.
Outfit #6
Colored shirt (from above), white linen pants ($12.99 from Marshalls:  a stretchy band, but aren’t maternity)
Straight from work to home. Just took off the white blazer and skirt and changed into comfy linen pants. Quick change and you are ready to cook dinner (wouldn’t recommend a red pasta sauce), off to the neighbors for game night, or just chillaxin watching a movie.
Outfit #7

Jean jacket (from above), Maxi dress ($12.99 from Burlington)
Easiest outfit EVER!! This is just a classic look and it is so simple! I added the necklace just for some fun, but you really don’t need it if you are in a hurry. Wear this to a birthday party, lunch, shopping, park, and list goes on…
Outfit #8
Maternity jeans (from above), colored shirt (from above), blue cardigan (from above)
Another outfit with mix-and-matched pieces from previous pictures. I am kinda in love with peach and blue together, which is why I paired the shirt and cardigan together. They are such bright, fresh, fun colors!

Outfit #9

Black tank (from above), maternity shorts (from above), black wedges (from above)
Final and 9th outfit all using pieces from prior outfits. This is my “sassy” look. Don’t be scared to show off that bump of yours and rock your heels girlies!








No comments:

Post a Comment