Monday, December 2, 2013

Holiday Traditions


Now that Nate is 1 and Christmas is just a few short weeks away, I have started to think about holiday traditions. I want Nate to have traditions to remember holidays by and to pass them on to his future family.

There are so many options! I'm talking about Christmas traditions specifically in this post, but other holidays are in the back of my mind, too.

My mom always let me open one present on Christmas Eve. Jason is super anti pre-Christmas opening of any sort, so that's not happening in this house. So what traditions are we going to do with Nate?

Ideas I'm thinking of:
1. Christmas pajamas
2. 1 new Christmas book to read (more from the library to read)

3. Baking cookies for Santa. Leaving a note and some carrots (can't forget the reindeer!)
4. Watch Christmas movies on Christmas Eve

5. Make a gingerbread house
6. Find houses with the best lights
7. Nate writes a letter to Santa with 1 thing he wants and 1 thing he needs
8. Nate donates some toys and clothes to a charity
9. Make an ornament
10. Decorate the tree while listening to Christmas songs.

Those are just a couple ideas I think would be fun to do as a family. One thing I do NOT want to do is Elf on a Shelf. That thing is creepy, in my opinion. Many have a great time deciding what the little elf will do on a nightly basis, but for some reason I can't get into him. To each their own.

Another aspect of Christmas I have been pondering is Santa. Does he leave presents unopened or does he wrap them? Is he responsible for filling stockings? Does he give a certain number of gifts or just one big gift?

Even though Nate won't remember this year, I still want to get them in plan and plan ahead.

What are your favorite holiday traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment